Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Connectivity...Yay Apple!

While the A-Team has continued to make progress on our Lemonade Stand project, there are many other places you an read about what we've done (Start by checking out the team wiki!). Since I had a slightly unusual technology experience this weekend, I'd like to share that with you instead.

On Sunday afternoon my husband came downtown with me to do homework.  He brought his Macbook Pro and planned on connecting to the wireless service.  Unfortunately, I had forgotten that you have to go through a lovely formal network setup process here at CofC - you cannot simply log in to the wireless.  Of course, the directions to set up the network are online, so they are easily accessible, if you are connected to the internet.  The poor guy struggled to connect for quite a while because he didn't want to interrupt my meeting.  We finally got him connected (although one set of the online instructions for Macs was incorrect) and he was able to continue doing his work.

The real fun started when we got home - he could still see our home network, but was unable to connect! We quickly deduced that it was not a network problem, since my computer connected, my phone connected, and our Wii connected just fine.  As the new resident computer expert in our home (yeah right!) I took on the challenge of fixing it.  I started looking at all the different settings and discovered that the AirPort Express hosting our network had a different ID than the AirPort detected as containing our network! Then I noticed the little red dot next to airport symbol and realized that it should be green!  Conclusion: somehow the computer was not recognizing our AirPort - it was still recognizing the school's AirPort.

So how was I supposed to make it find our AirPort? I began searching for help and found a lot of discussions that seemed promising at first, but turned out to be very different issues.  Also, there was a lot of support for AirPort Extreme issues, a different Apple product, but not much for the AirPort Express.  I finally found a diagnostic tool in the network settings and as that tool began to run, the problem fixed itself.

Since I still don't know how it was fixed, I can only claim a partial victory, but it is my first victory on a Mac, so I'm quite pleased! I love that I at least know what to look for in order to solve technology problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment