Thursday, April 21, 2011

Why, Ubuntu? Why?

For the second semester in a row, during the last week of classes my Ubuntu system has encountered boot problems.  I don't know if it has a self-destruct program that is triggered by the user's need level or what, but it's kind of annoying.  On the bright side (trying to make lemonade from my lemons, here...) I did get to learn about using Netbeans subversion tools and about the Windows command terminal.

Since I had created the patches for our code on the Ubuntu system, but had not yet uploaded them to our subversion repository, I had to do it all over again.  However, I did not want to take the time to re-configure my Ubuntu drive, so I decided that it was time to tackle this problem from Windows!  Another team member, Shannon Fox, had started using Netbeans on his machine to access our repository, so I decided to do the same.  That seemed to work pretty well, but I couldn't figure out Netbeans's diff function.  It was time to brave the command terminal.

So I told my computer to run cmd and a terminal opened.  I'd done that before, so no huge victory there, but I wasn't sure if the subversion commands were the same.  I decided to type 'svn help' and see what happened.  Just like in Ubuntu, I got a listing of the different commands I could use and thankfully they were the same.  I proceeded to recreate my patches and add them to our repository using the windows terminal and voila - lemonade! :)

I think my only real disappointment in this venture was that I was unable to run the LemonadeStand game from windows.  It would give me an error because it could not find pygame, which was a dependency that I think comes installed (or easily installed) in Ubuntu.  I'm sure I can find the solution for Windows, but I haven't yet.  I would love it if I could because then I could share this game with my sister, a 4th grade teacher, and her class might be able to have fun with it!  I suppose that can be my first personal project of the post-graduation summer!

Also, as irritating as it was to recreate the patches, I'm very thankful for the realization that I am quite comfortable opening the command-line terminal and working from there.  It may seem silly, but I was always so impressed with my dad when he would use the terminal to do something or fix it.  It's almost like an affirmation that I am indeed equipped with the resources to succeed as a computer scientist.  I certainly don't know everything, but I do know my tools to find out more and so it is time to say once again, "Hello, World!"

No comments:

Post a Comment